- Understand how financial counsellors can assist, they offer more services than people think
- Get national or local assistance quickly
- Receive genuine money assistance from professionals that have your best interests in mind.
Financial Counsellors are there to help you. They assist people with a range of money issues and do this on a free, independent and confidential basis. They are trained professionals with extensive knowledge and experience to help you through difficult times.
In addition to strong financial insight they also have relationships with non-profit service providers and government bodies which can assist with loans, debt, law related issues, hardship and different concessions or benefits.
What type of financial issues can they help with?
Essentially financial counsellors will try and support and find solutions to any type of financial issues including emotional support to a degree. Common financial situations that they provide assistance with are:
– Debt, debt agreements, bankruptcy (outlining the pros and cons and how to approach these options)
– Budgeting help
– How to handle debt collectors
– Provide information on government and non-profit services to aid with, home eviction, disconnection of utilities (gas & electricity), phone and other living essentials.
– Emergency financial assistance
– Assist with other unique financial situations
How to contact a Financial Counsellor
There are numerous financial counselling services throughout Australia with each State or Territory having its own support network. A quick online search of “financial counselling + area” should provide you with some options. Alternatively a national support service can be found here or by ringing 1800 007 007.
Be wary of any financial counsellor that tries to charge you for their service.